skip to content
WigRum Logo

Case Summaries

Defective Appliance: Clock Radio Ignites a Fire and Threatens Family

On or about January 30, 2006, Annie Sanchez and Marco Reyes smelled smoke and found a fire in the bedroom where their children were sleeping. Marco Reyes removed the children from the burning house, however 10-month-old Vincent Warren, Jr, six-year-old Brittany Renee Sanchez and Mr. Reyes all received injuries from the flames, heat, smoke and gas.

The fire ignited due to a short in the cord of a Tozai clock radio. Wigington Rumley Dunn & Blair LLP filed a suit contending that the clock radio, designed, manufactured and sold by Walgreen Co. and Tozai Corporation, was defective in design and unreasonably dangerous, which was a producing cause of the fire and the resulting injuries and damages to the plaintiffs.

Vincent Warren, Jr., 10-months-old, and Brittany Renee Sanchez, age 6, were healthy children, who suffered serious injuries in the incident, including severe burns to their bodies. Their representatives sought to recover damages for necessary healthcare expenses, physical pain and suffering, mental anguish and disfigurement. This case settled for a confidential sum.